They generally concern:
- Oxydative or fermentative metabolism
- Presence of a particular enzyme: cellulase, oxydase, catalase, pectinase …
- Use of particular sources of carbon, citrate, malonate …
- Degradation of complex molecules : starch, gelatin
The specific methods frequently used are :
- Galeries API 20E : miniaturized version of the classical biochemical tests for the identification of Enterobacteriaceae of which Erwinia forms part (23 biochemical reactions).
- BIOLOG : identification of the Gram bacteria - based on the use of 95 sources of carbon. This technique gives biochemical profiles which are compared by a software with those of other species contained in a database “Microlog” which indicates the closest species.
Return to the page "How to identify them"