Different scientific disciplines within the life sciences, studying pests or beneficial to plants cultivated or wild.
- Weed science for weeds or invasive plants, part of botany, science devoted to the study of plants.
- Entomology for insects but also other harmful arthropods(myriapods, mites ...) and useful adjuncts.
- Nematology for nematodes
- Bacteriology for bacteria
- Mycology for fungi
- Virology for viruses and viroids
- Genomics for gene analysis
- Ecology for interactions between this organisms
- Phytopathology for plant diseases caused by pathogens(bacteria, fungi and viruses). This discipline involves bacteriology, mycology and virology.